When you spend hours on the water every week, the right women’s fishing clothing can make a major impact on your comfort level. Consider fabric qualities, design, sun protection, and functional details when deciding which types of fishing apparel for women will be best for your unique angling adventures.
1. Look for women’s fishing clothes made with nylon or synthetic fabric blends that keep you cool in hot weather, have moisture-wicking properties, and don’t wrinkle easily when packed in a bag or suitcase.
2. Find performance fishing shirts for women that allow for the wide range of motion required for making distance casts or when netting a fish, but that also fit properly without being too loose or baggy. For example, shop for shirts that provide a proper fit through the waist but that also have spacious arm holes and a pleated or yoked back.
3. Check for the built-in sun protection of UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) fabrics. Only women’s fishing apparel with a UPF of 15-50+ can be labeled as sun-protective. The tags on some fishing attire for ladies may indicate how many washes until the UPF protection loses effectiveness. If you don't see any information on the tag, wearing or fading are general indicators that the garment is less protective.
4. When buying women’s fishing gear, think about practicality as it pertains to pants or shorts. In other words, look for zippered or Velcro closure pockets that keep small personal items (extra hair bands, lip balm, sunscreen) secure and a loop to attach fishing tools (like line nippers or small pliers/forceps).
5. Many shirts designed by women’s fishing clothing brands these days include a built-in cleaning cloth in the hem for keeping your sunglasses or eyeglasses spot free. Such an appreciated and convenient feature!
6. Thumb holes in women’s fishing shirts help to keep long sleeves from bunching up while out on the water and offer extra coverage for sun protection.
Whether you plan to gear up online or at a local fishing apparel store, keep these must-have features of ladies fishing clothing in mind.