⚠ Before you head to the water check the latest COVID-19 updates. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations.
5 Key Benefits of the Sport Fish Restoration Program
Did you know that you are helping to support the Sport Fish Restoration Program when you buy fishing tackle, fishing equipment and boat fuel? It’s true! Every time you shop where there is a Sport Fish Restoration Program logo, you are helping to support conservation efforts. So, get outdoors, do more of what you love (fishing and boating) and help protect our state fisheries at the same time.
The Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration (SFR) Program, which was enacted in 1950, authorized grant funding for wildlife and fisheries conservation. The grant funds originate from a 10 percent excise tax on selected fishing equipment as well as taxes on motorboat and small engine fuels. The SFR Program is one of the most successful programs of its kind in the world due to the level of impact it has had on sport fishing nationwide. Using SFR funds, our national wildlife agencies are better able to restore and manage fisheries resources.
Here are the 5 key benefits of the Sport Fish Restoration Program:
- The program helps state wildlife agencies with funds that go toward fish and wildlife population management, habitat management, research and aquatic resource education.
- Fishing enthusiasts have access to more places to boat and healthier fisheries due to wildlife management areas and fish hatcheries.
- The sport fishing industry benefits from a growing base of anglers, boaters, and other recreational users who buy fishing and boating equipment or supplies.
- State and Federal agencies obtain more funds to meet sport fishing conservation needs.
- We all benefit from improved stewardship of our natural resources.
Be sure you look for the SRF logo when you buy outdoor sports equipment, so that you know the proceeds go to support fishing conservation expanding access to recreational resources nationwide.
Have you made any recent purchases that you know went towards the SRF program? If yes,what did you buy? Log into the Take Me Fishing blog and comment on this post to share your fishing shopping experience!
Click to enlarge
You Might Also Like