⚠ Before you head to the water check the latest COVID-19 updates. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations.
Fun Places for Kids in New Jersey
You might be looking for things to do in NJ this weekend or for a future family adventure. Whichever is the case, you might be surprised at just how many fun and educational outdoor activities there are to choose from in "The Garden State."
If you want to go fishing with the kids, there are calm interior lakes and saltwater bays that provide ideal settings for a relaxing days on the water. In addition, New Jersey's state parks offer perfect family opportunities for boating, camping, and hiking while surrounded by nature.
Get specific examples of fun family activities you can take advantage of now or on your next visit to New Jersey.
Outdoor Fun Things to do in NJ with Kids
When spending time outdoors, kids learn valuable lessons about our natural ecosystems and conservation. Use this list of ideas to find fun things to do with kids in NJ.
- Plan a day of New Jersey fishing on Lake Absegami in the Bass River State Forest for pickerel, sunfish, and catfish. This 67-acre lake in central New Jersey provides a family-friendly setting for fishing, boating and canoeing. There are also self-guided nature trail loops through the forest.
- Go camping or tubing on the Delaware River near Milford or Phillipsburg. Places like Wawayanda State Park and Worthington State Forest both offer family campsites for overnight stays.
- Take the family to hike on the trails at the Trailside Nature Center in Mountainside. Afterwards, stop inside to participate in the interactive nature exhibits, children’s discovery room, and animal exhibits that include native snakes, turtles, and fish.
- Head off on a weekend adventure to Cape May. Experience the family-friendly beaches and campgrounds in this seashore town, or book a trip on a Delaware Bay fishing charter boat to catch saltwater species such as striped bass, flounder, sea bass, tautog or bluefish.
- Make a stop at the Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center in Chatham to walk along two miles of flat trails and boardwalk. Take in the amazing views of the swamp, marsh, meadow, pond, forest, and diverse wildlife.
- The Essex County Environmental Center in Roseland is one of the fun places for kids in New Jersey that educates about conservation and our natural resources. The center offers nature-themed birthday parties, naturalist led walks, and a butterfly garden.
- Visit Cattus Island County Park in Toms River to explore miles of nature trails or venture down a boardwalk through the wetlands. Go crabbing, have a family picnic, and visit the Cooper Environmental Center where you will find educational exhibits about the park and Barnegat Bay.
Pick a few of these outdoor-related things to do with the kids in NJ and start making some new family memories.