⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest updates on your state natural resources agency website first. The American Sportfishing Association is compiling a list of closures you can also view here. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.
When to Use a Berkley Braid Knot
The Berkley braid fishing knot was created for use with braided lines that can be doubled and comfortably threaded through the eye of a hook, lure, or swivel. The advantages of using this terminal knot are that it maintains a strong grip, resists slippage, and spreads any strain over several wraps of line rather than at a single point. You can use this knot for both freshwater and saltwater fishing situations.
Despite its name, the Berkley braid knot is a strong all-around knot that you can tie with monofilament and fluorocarbon lines as well, but excels when used with thin diameter braided lines. Berkley braid knot strength has been documented at 62% of original line strength and doesn’t require you to pass your lure, hook, or swivel through a loop.
How to Tie a Berkley Braid Fishing Knot
Learning how to tie Berkley fishing line knots isn't hard; all you have to do is follow these five easy steps:
- Insert a double loop of braided line through the eye of your hook, lure, or swivel.
- Make eight wraps around the standing line with the loop end, starting from the far end.
- Pass the loop end between the eye of the hook, lure, or swivel and the coils.
- Tighten down the knot (as when tying all fishing knots, you should moisten the knot before tightening it down in order to reduce any line damage from friction).
- Trim the loop and tag end of the line.
The Berkley braid fishing knot is a strong and simple knot to tie, but be sure to practice it a few times before tying it out on the water. Learning how to tie fishing knots that are the most appropriate for the type of line and fishing technique can be a fun challenge.