Spring Fishing is Right Around the Corner
Spring fishing is around the corner, the Groundhog told us that earlier this month. We have a little more time before we wet a line, so here are 7 tips to get your gear ready.
- Change your skirts. Silicone skirts on spinnerbaits either get moldy or dry out in the offseason. Freshen up your favorites and add some new colors to try.
- New fishing line. Sun, salt, and abrasion can wear out monofilament lines. Plus, when they're stored on a spool all winter long the memory can louse up a trip. Change them up for short money and be ready for the season.
- Synthetic fishing lines. Sometimes the expense of these lines adds up, so think about recycling them. Go to a football field and run the line out to the Arbor Knot. Then, wind the used part on to your spool. Be sure to have wind a piece of electrician's tape on the arbor so the line doesn't spin and you've got a fresh line on the working end of your outfit.
- Change or sharpen your hooks. A pair of split ring pliers makes it easy to replace rusted hooks with new ones. Buff all hooks, even new ones, with a hook hone. The hook point should be sticky sharp. Run it across your thumbnail and if it grabs you're set.
- Jacklight your waders. Go into a dark basement or room and shine a flashlight in your waders. Any light that comes through the material shows a hole. Check your boots, too, for rubber can crack in the off-season. Some rubber cement over an old nylon stocking works wonders.
- Check your guides. If you fish hard, the friction caused by lines can wear grooves in your guides. Guides with ceramic rings can crack if they're hit on a gunnel or a tree.
- Smooth operator. Yeah, you packed your gears in white grease, lubed your bails, and siliconed your cranks. That said, check them out to make sure everything is still running smooth. If your reels were stored in a cold area they may need a freshen-up.
Think fish. Spring fishing is around the corner and to celebrate that make sure to cast your vote for favorite places to go fishing and boating in the country on Top Fishing and Boating Spots Instant Win and Sweepstakes!