From hats with ultraviolet protection to insulated ice fishing boots, you can find women's fishing gear for any type of fishing trip you plan to take. Being prepared with the right gear is essential for safety and comfort when spending a day on the water. Learn more about gear made with female anglers in mind.
Women's Fishing Gear & Technical Clothing
Since there are more women fishing than ever before, fishing gear manufacturers are designing products with women's proportions and needs in mind. For example, you can buy women's fishing shirts with tapered cuts, fishing rods with grips designed for smaller hands, and polarized sunglasses that fit small faces. Choosing the best fishing clothing and gear can make your time on the water more successful and enjoyable.
Female Fishing Gear: Freshwater Fishing
Women who like to freshwater fly fish on mountain streams or head out to a local lake to fish for largemouth bass may need specific pieces of fishing gear or clothing. Finding the best technical gear for female anglers, such as waterproof fishing pants and waders, isn't hard. There are many brands and gear manufacturers who offer women's fishing products.
When selecting freshwater gear for women, or any women's fishing gear for that matter, take the extra time to ensure a proper fit for safety and comfort. If you are new to freshwater fishing, don't hesitate to ask experienced anglers for recommendations or contact manufacturers with questions.
- Wading boots that are insulated, waterproof, and offer plenty of traction when fishing rocky riverbeds or streams.
- Fly fishing vests with mesh back panels for ventilation and enough zippered pockets to store extra tippet material and fly boxes.
- Polarized sunglasses that cut heavy glare while on the water and are made with UVA and UVB protection.
- Water-resistant fishing pants that have articulated legs and adjustable cuffs.
- Fishing shirts with roll-up sleeves, venting, and built-in sun protection.
- Waterproof fishing shoes with non-marking soles (suitable for use on a boat), good traction, and enough support to accommodate long periods of standing.
- Waterproof rain jacket.
- Fishing hats with sun-protection and mesh panels for ventilation.
- Waterproof dry bag to store a change of clothes, electronics, snacks, and other necessities.
Keep in mind that fishing gear and clothing needs will vary, depending on the climate and the type of fishing you prefer to do.
Women's Fishing Gear: Saltwater Fishing
One of the most important tips to remember when buying saltwater fishing gear or clothing is that each item should be constructed with corrosion-resistant features (such as zippers, snaps, buckles, metal frames, and buttons) whenever possible. Saltwater marine environments require heavy-duty materials that have been made specifically for this type of fishing.
You will also want to consider the fact that many saltwater fishing destinations are located in warm climates. Warm climates, particularly sub-tropical or tropical climates, require breathable, lightweight fabrics that allow for plenty of air circulation in order to help prevent you from over-heating.
- Polarized sunglasses made with corrosion-resistant frames that properly fit your face and protect your eyes from intense UVA and UVB light.
- Lightweight hats made with moisture-wicking fabrics and ultraviolet protection.
- Convertible fishing pants that zip off above the knee to make a comfortable transition from cool mornings to warm afternoons.
- Lightweight shirts that are quick drying and made with built-in sun protection.
- Fishing shoes that self-drain with non-slip and non-marking soles.
- Lightweight headwear (or face masks) that provide extra sun protection for your face and neck.
- Heavy-duty foul weather gear for offshore boat trips.
Female Fishing Gear: Ice Fishing
Due to the nature of ice fishing, clothing and gear features that provide extra warmth or flotation should be a key consideration. The best women's ice fishing gear is designed with these important points in mind.
- Face masks that have a snug, comfortable fit and offer protection from the cold.
- Insulated, waterproof ice fishing gloves with silicone grips.
- Insulated, reflective ice fishing jacket that is waterproof and breathable with flotation technology.
- Waterproof, breathable ice fishing bibs made with flotation assistance and reflective material for visibility.
- Thermal base layer shirts and leggings with moisture-wicking properties.
- Waterproof ice fishing boots with insulation, fully-tractioned soles, and reinforced heels and toes.
Women's fishing gear and clothing made for freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, and ice fishing can be found by searching online for "woman fishing gear" or by checking the women's fishing section at your local outdoor retailer.