Register a Boat in Idaho
With abundant boating opportunities, don’t miss your chance to enjoy Idaho’s waters! Get your Idaho boat registration today.
Register Your Boat
How to Register a Boat in Idaho
In Idaho, all motorized vessels used primarily in Idaho waters must be registered with the Idaho Department of Parks and Rec. So that even includes watercraft like jet skis. There are some exceptions to the Idaho boat registration rule. These include:
- Manually powered vessels such as canoes, kayaks, sailboards and rafts without motors
- Boats with a valid registration in another state that is not used in Idaho for more than 60 straight days, which means you don’t have to worry about registering out of state boat in Idaho if you plan to use it for less than that
- Vessels documented with the US Coast Guard
If your boat must be registered in Idaho, there are three ways you can buy your registration.
- Online: Registering a boat in Idaho is easiest with the online option. Through this system, you can buy or renew registration and will receive a confirmation email right away that can serve as temporary proof of registration until your registration document arrives in the mail.
- In-Person at a Vendor: You can choose from retail vendors across the state for a convenient option near you.
- By Phone: Service representatives are available seven days a week to help with your transaction.
To get your registration, you’ll need to complete a boat registration application, provide your boat’s title as well as identification such as your driver’s license or Social Security number, and pay the appropriate fees. There are certain boats that don’t need to be titled in Idaho so if you’re registering a boat in Idaho with no title, you’ll want to see if you qualify for one of these exemptions such as boats that are older than the year 2000.
Once you get your certificate of registration, it will expire on December 31st of each year.
Do I Need to Register a Boat Trailer in Arizona?
If you have a boat trailer for your vessel, you’ll need to make sure you get an Idaho boat trailer registration with the Division of Motor Vehicles. The process is the same as registering a regular car or truck.
To register your boat trailer, it must belong to an Idaho resident or business or, if it belongs to an out-of-state resident, must remain in Idaho and be used in Idaho only, and must be titled in Idaho.
Idaho Boat Registration Costs
The cost to register a boat in Idaho primarily depends on the length of your vessel. These fees cover one calendar year, which ends on December 31st.
- 12 feet and under: $30
- 13 feet: $32
- 14 feet: $34
- 15 feet: $36
- 16 feet: $38
- 17 feet: $40
- 18 feet: $42
- 19 feet: $44
- 20 feet: $46
- Add for each additional foot: $2
In addition to the cost to register a boat in Idaho or renew your Idaho boat registration, there is also a $1.50 vendor fee that will be assessed.