⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest COVID-19 updates on your State Natural Resources Agency website first. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.

Get a Kansas Fishing License

Purchase your Kansas fishing license, check the current set of fishing regulations, and plan a trip to a place like Eisenhower State Park to fish the Melvern Reservoir for largemouth or smallmouth bass. There are also species such as crappie, walleye, sauger, wiper, white bass, catfish, bluegill and green sunfish that can be caught while fishing the waters of Kansas.

Get a Kansas Fishing License
Fishing License


Fishing regulations are put into place to conserve fish populations for years to come. There are specific regulations or rules to follow for each different species and waterway, so always check the regulations for updates before each trip. For easy reference, keep a current set of regulations with you. Place a copy in your tackle box, backpack or on board your boat.


When you put successful catch and release strategies into practice, you are contributing towards the protection of our natural resources. Learn about the best tackle and tools for the type of fishing you plan to do. Fighting a fish for an extended period of time, for example, will cause the fish to become exhausted. Use tackle that is matched to the species and learn about useful release tools like rubberized-mesh nets that help protect the fish.


  • You can purchase a fishing license online or in person from a licensed agent or from a Kansas Department Wildlife & Parks office in your area.
  • Licenses are available for purchase year-round and expire annually on December 31, except 5-day, lifetime, and 24-hr fishing licenses.
  • Residents age 16 through 74, must have a resident license in possession while fishing in Kansas. Nonresidents 16 and older must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas.