Tying the Egg Loop Fishing Knot:
Fish eggs or roe are often used as bait for salmon or trout species, but it can also be a challenge to keep soft bait on a hook. This is when you may want to use the egg loop fishing knot to tie your leader against the shank of the hook to help hold roe or other soft baits in place.
The egg loop knot is one of the fishing knots that is most often used when salmon and steelhead fishing, which is why this knot is sometimes referred to as the salmon roe fishing knot. However, one handy egg knot fishing tip is that it can also be used to hold soft chicken livers or dough baits on a hook when fishing for catfish.
If you know how to tie a Snell knot, the egg loop might be easy for you because the egg loop is a modified version of a Snell knot.
How to Tie an Egg Loop Knot
Before you begin tying the egg loop fishing knot, make sure you start with enough leader material (about 4-feet) and make sure you lubricate the knot through each of the steps.
Follow these steps to tie an egg loop knot:
- Pass the tag end through the hook eye and run the line from the top of the hook down along the shank. Hold the line in place with your thumb and forefinger.
- With the running line, make 10 to 20 tight wraps around the standing line and the hook shank back toward the bend in hook.
- While holding the wraps firmly in place, thread the lead end back up through the eye of the hook from bottom to top until you have about one inch of line sticking out of the eye.
- With the same end that you were wrapping in step 2, continue wrapping with five more wraps on the shank of the hook, although this time, make the wraps just tight enough so they won’t come undone. You should be wrapping over the tag end as well as the lead end.
- While pinching the hook and wraps, slowly pull the lead end the rest of the way through the eye of the hook until the entire leader comes through.
- Open up the line near the top of the hook into a loop to hold the eggs or soft bait.
Once you have practiced these steps a few times, you will be on your way to tying this knot quickly and confidently.