⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest COVID-19 updates on your State Natural Resources Agency website first. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.
CHOOSING BETWEEN LIVE BAIT & ARTIFICIAL BAIT
When it comes to deciding how to choose bait for fishing, there are key distinctions between natural bait vs artificial that new anglers should learn. While using bait that is more appropriate to the kind of fishing you are planning to do is important, the good news is that fish like both artificial fishing bait and natural fishing bait.
- Consider what fish eat. Live (or natural) baits are anything alive or previously alive that you use to catch fish. Some of the best freshwater fishing bait include worms, leeches, minnows, crayfish, crickets and grasshoppers.
- Select good saltwater baits including sea worms, eels, crabs, shrimp, strips of squid, and cut-up pieces of fish. You can purchase live bait, or better yet, find your own to save money.
- Always check your fishing regulations to make sure the bait you choose is legal where you’re fishing. And keep in mind that live bait only catches fish if you take steps to keep it alive and cast gently so it remains on the hook.
- If you are using artificial bait or imitation choose among spinners, jigs, poppers, flies, and spoons that come in various sizes, styles, colors and patterns. When used, these are seen by fish as a natural food such as a minnow or mayfly.
- Check your budget. While bait fishing can be less expensive, the best types of fishing lures can be more fun because the lure needs the angler to provide the motion – giving you complete control. Just be sure to read the instructions on a lure package to learn how to use each lure.
- Learn about the differences between natural bait vs artificial to understand how to choose bait for fishing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds, so whatever type of freshwater or saltwater baits and lures you choose, just make sure you know how to choose bait for fishing the species you want to catch.
Watch our video for more information about how to choose bait and the difference between live bait and artificial bait. Learn how to fish in our next section.