⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest COVID-19 updates on your State Natural Resources Agency website first. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.
Have you been eager to try sight casting to redfish (red drum) on the grass flats of Florida, troll off the coast of California for bluefin tuna, or reel in a flounder from one of New Jersey's back bays? If so, you should know that these are just a few examples of the types of fishing trips that would require a fishing license for saltwater. Don't worry though, it's easy to buy your license and get started saltwater fishing.
WHERE TO BUY FISHING LICENSE
Your saltwater fishing license can be purchased from the fish and wildlife agency in the state where you plan to go fishing. Since each state has different fishing license requirements, you will need to check the fishing rules and regulations that are specific to your area before making a purchase. However, you should know that there are several places where you can quickly and easily purchase your saltwater license to fish.
- Buy saltwater fishing license online.
- Purchase your saltwater license from a registered fishing license agent, such as an outdoor sporting goods store or tackle shop.
- Many states provide you with an option to purchase your saltwater fishing license by phone using a credit card. If you buy your license by phone, most states provide you with a confirmation number that you need to keep with you as proof of your purchase until your license arrives in the mail.
Even if you make a last-minute decision to go fishing, you can still buy your license either online or by phone and start fishing right away.
SALTWATER FISHING LICENSE COST
You may be asking yourself, "How much is a fishing license?" Again, you'll need to remember to check each specific state's list of license fees or costs to find out. The cost of your license may depend on a few different factors.
- Are you a state resident or are you a visitor?
- Do you plan to go saltwater fishing for just the day or for a longer period of time?
- Whether you are under a certain age or over a specified age.
If you want to try saltwater fishing before you purchase a license, check your state's license-free saltwater fishing days. Just remember, buying a license to fish is not only important because it's the law, the cost of your saltwater license also helps to support state fishing conservation and educational efforts.