⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest COVID-19 updates on your State Natural Resources Agency website first. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.
Tips for How to Take a Family Fishing
One of the excuses I’ve read for people not fishing is that it takes away from family time. My solution? Bring ‘em! With some planning and preparations, this activity can be enjoyed by all.
Here are a few tips:
- Look for places to go fishing and boating in your state. Take advantage of every opportunity such as “Free fishing days,” fishing derbies, or “mentored youth days”.
- Have you asked for permission to fish at a neighbor’s pond? Ponds are a great source of fishing success. Don’t overlook them.
- Scout ahead of time. A little recon trip will be very beneficial to a family trip. Be able to drive right to the boat ramp or access area. How brushy is the shore? Are there places to cast? Other hazards to watch out for?
- Make sure the weather is nice. Even if the fish are really biting, you will find the family’s patience lacking if it is cold, rainy, and windy.
- Empower. Give the kids a duty or assignment. My daughter isn’t always interested in fishing, but if we offer to take the boat and let her run the trolling motor, she has yet to refuse. We love having her along and sharing the experience so much that we overlook the fact that we perhaps don’t get to fish our exact target areas.
- While you are renewing your fishing license, pick up a new set of fishing regulations and read them closely for changes and new prospective areas. For example, there may be early trout stockings of special “artificial lure only” streams. Recently, my current state even loaded some select streams with some extra large trout for an even better chance at something trophy sized.
- And finally, don’t push too hard. Everyone needs to be on board. (a-hem) If not, wait and try another day.