If you are looking for easy fish recipes to make with your fresh catches, this ceviche recipe is super simple, so and involves just a few ingredients. Always be sure to use the very freshest fish while following all food safety guidelines for filleting and storing your catches carefully.
Mexican Ceviche Recipe Ingredients
The best ceviche recipe ingredients for Mexican-style ceviche aren't hard to find, although you should know that certain types of fish are better to use when making ceviche because they are firm or semi-firm white fish.
- 1 lb fresh fish diced into small ½ -inch cubes (red snapper or mahi-mahi are two of the best fish to use in authentic Mexican recipes, but flounder and sea bass are also popular)
- ½ of a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper seeded and very finely chopped.
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or 1 cup diced tomatoes)
- ¾ cup lime juice from 4 to 6 freshly squeezed limes
How to Prepare Fish for Ceviche
This Mexican ceviche recipe only takes a few minutes in terms of preparation time. The most important thing to remember is to allow the fish to marinate long enough so that the lime juice fully cooks each of the pieces of fish.
Follow each of these ceviche recipe steps:
- Use a juicer or hand squeeze the limes and set the juice aside.
- Dice the fish into small pieces.
- Add pieces of fish to a medium-sized glass bowl with the lime juice and salt.
- Allow the fish marinate for approximately 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Dice the fresh jalapenos, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro into small pieces. Place vegetable mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- After 4 hours of marinating the fish, check to make sure the fish has turned from translucent to opaque.
- Drain 95% of the lime juice off of the meat and add the vegetable mixture.
- Add your ceviche to a bowl and serve with corn chips or plantain chips.
This easy ceviche recipe makes a perfect appetizer or a light meal. Of course, there are many ways to serve ceviche depending on your preferences, but garnishing your homemade ceviche dishes with fresh herbs and lime wedges adds a nice touch.