⚠ Before you head to the water check the latest COVID-19 updates. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations.
When To Use a Perfection Loop Knot
You may want to learn how to make a loop knot, such as the perfection loop, because they can be used in a number of different situations from freshwater fly fishing to saltwater bottom fishing. While this particular knot is a strong and effective knot to use when working with monofilament or fluorocarbon, it is not recommended for braided line.
When learning how to fish on the bottom, the perfection loop knot is a good choice for connecting sinkers and hooks to bottom fishing rigs. One of the major benefits of using this knot for your bottom fishing rigs is that when it's drawn tight, it easily sheds weeds and seagrass. This is a good option among other fishing knots and rigs.
Steps for Tying a Perfection Loop Knot
All you have to do is follow four steps to learn how to tie this knot.
- Form a crossing loop.
- Form a second crossing loop behind the first loop. The size of the second loop will determine the size of the finished knot. Pull the tag end straight between the two loops.
- Reach in and pull the back loop through the front loop.
- Tighten by pulling the ends of the loop and standing line in opposite directions. Put your finger inside the loop to pull it tight and seat the knot firmly. Trim the tag end.
Many fly anglers choose use the perfection knot in two different ways when freshwater or saltwater fly fishing.
- The perfection loop fishing knot can be tied at the butt end of your fly leader in order to attach the leader to the loop at the end of your fly line -- this creates what is referred to as a "loop-to-loop" connection. Once tied, you'll notice that the standing part of the leader comes out of the loop in a clean, straight line.
- It can also be used as a terminal knot for attaching a fly or lure to your leader.
- The perfection knot is a strong knot that can be tied quickly in any of these situations with a bit of practice.
If you are looking for a good terminal knot to use for braided fishing line, learn how to tie the Palomar knot.