If you've been looking for a few more family fish recipes, you may want to try a simple fish chowder recipe. This recipe uses easy-to-find ingredients and doesn't take long to prepare. Trying new fish recipes is one of the things to do at home with your family.
One important fish chowder tip is to leave your fish fillets whole when cooking them. This way, the whole fillets will break down into tasty chunks instead of flaking into small pieces.
Best Fish for Chowder
If you're wondering about the best fish for chowder, any firm fish will work. Here are a few examples:
Fish Chowder Recipe
Whether you've been trying to find a salmon chowder recipe, cod recipes, or haddock recipes, you can add this to your recipe files. This is just another way you can learn how to cook your catch.
- 2 pounds of fish (such as cod, halibut, haddock or salmon)
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces bacon or salt pork
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Fish Chowder Directions
Follow these easy directions to make your own fish chowder at home:
- Simmer fish in water for 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserve broth.
- Flake fish, discarding bones and skin.
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onions to fat remaining in stock pot and sauté until golden brown.
- Add fish, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Add boiling water to reserved broth to total 3 cups.
- Add to saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
That’s all you have to do to make some tasty fish chowder for your family. Enjoy!