⚠ Thanks for visiting TakeMeFishing.org. If you are interested in enjoying the outdoors and going fishing or boating, check the latest COVID-19 updates on your State Natural Resources Agency website first. We encourage you to follow CDC recommendations and official orders in your state before heading to the water.
Fishing License Age Perks You Should Know About
While every state has different laws regarding recreational fishing licenses and exemptions, there are some fishing license age perks that you should know about. For example, if you want to go fishing with your 75-year-old grandpa, is there a chance he may not need a license? Or, maybe you want to take your 6-year-old niece fishing, but you aren't sure if you need to buy a license for her? Check with your state agency to find out what the required age for fishing license is in your state and, while you're at it, don't forget to ask about fishing license perks like these.
1. Many states offer discounted license fees (or waive certain license requirements) if you are a senior citizen over a specified age. Your state agency can tell you what the fishing license age limit is where you live. Just remember, in order to determine that you meet the discounted or waived fishing license age limit, you will have to provide your driver's license or state identification card to prove residency and verify your age.
2. If you are a parent, find out if a lifetime fishing license is available in your state and consider purchasing lifetime licenses for your kids. Not only are lifetime licenses a great way to help keep our youth involved in recreational fishing for the long-term, but the cost of a lifetime license is also less than what you would spend on cumulative annual licenses, permits, and fees.
3. In many states, kids below a specified age don't need a fishing license to fish. Remember that there are also free recreational fishing days in each state at certain times of the year that kids, parents, and everyone else can take advantage of.
4. Although not specifically related to fishing license age perks, it's worth noting that several states provide veterans and active duty military members with discounted fishing license fees. This is one way of rewarding these special sportsmen and sportswomen for the time they have spent serving our country and for their commitment to conservation.
5. Some states offer 5-year resident licenses in addition to annual resident licenses if you are of the age for fishing license purchase. Most 5-year licenses offer cost savings over the renewal of an annual fishing license every year.
Remember that most state fishing license age perks or exemptions apply only if you meet the fishing license requirements for state residency. You can purchase your state fishing license online, and find the required age for fishing license purchase by visiting the state pages.