Best Bait for Spring Bass Fishing
When it comes to spring bass fishing, it's hard to beat spinnerbaits
. One of the biggest advantages of fishing with spinnerbaits is that they are easier for bass to detect in muddy or cloudy water after a period of heavy spring rainfall. The fact that spinnerbaits allow you to cover more water in a shorter period of time is also a big advantage because you can determine where the largemouth bass are holding up much faster, and then focus on those areas.
In cloudy water conditions, the metal flash that is produced by the turning blades of a spinnerbait make it a better visual target. Plus, the vibrations that are produced by the blades of a spinnerbait are often detected when the fish uses its lateral line as a radar system to locate prey.
Once you get the hang of using them, and start experimenting with different types of retrieves, spinnerbaits are a whole lot of fun. There are a few fishing tips that may help if you're just starting to learn how to fish with spinnerbaits.
Spinnerbait Fishing Tips
• If you are new to spinnerbait fishing, try using 14-pound test fishing line on a baitcasting reel
paired with a medium-action rod.
• If fish are behaving aggressively in cloudy water, try a 3/4-ounce spinnerbait with larger Colorado blades that will produce more vibration than Willowleaf or Indiana blades.
• When largemouth bass fishing near logs, stumps, or vegetation, try casting your spinnerbait so that it bumps into the structure. Then, roll the bait over and around as much structure as possible on your retrieve. When your spinnerbait bumps into structure, it tends to be a real bass attention-grabber.
• Keep in mind that gold or copper-colored tandem blades will generally work best in muddy or cloudy water because they emit more flash.
• When fishing a spinnerbait in shallow water that is cloudy or muddy, reel quickly with your rod tip high. Allow the blades to break the surface and create a fish-attracting splashing sound. This technique is called "buzzing."
These are just a few quick spinnerbait tips you can use this spring when bass fishing. Just remember, before you head out on the water to apply what you've learned, you'll need to make sure you have a valid fishing license. It only takes a few minutes to buy or renew your license online
and check the fishing regulations for your state. Know the fishing laws and be prepared before you go.
You Might Also Like