While we seem to be through the worst of the pandemic, your spring break plans (and budget) may still be a fraction of what they used to be. Thankfully, there’s plenty of fun to be had locally thanks to these spring break staycation ideas. We’ll walk you through what a staycation means and what to do on a staycation, and hook a few of the best staycation places for you to reel in with ease this spring.
What Is A Staycation?
You’re probably wondering, what’s the difference between a staycation and a vacation? Essentially, it’s in the name! While a vacation could have you on a cruise ship or a plane heading far away from home, the answer to the question, “what does staycation mean” is simple really: a staycation means you stay put, more or less. Instead of a traditional va-cation getaway, you will spend your time at home or at least, keep your adventures local. So, how to plan a staycation at home? Glad you asked! Here are the best spring break staycation ideas.
How To Plan A Staycation
In normal times, day trips have been spring break staycation solid gold. But with gas prices inching toward an average of $5 a gallon across the nation, the desire to load up the family car and hit the open road has, for many Americans, sunk down deeper than a catfish! This spring, leave the car (mostly) in the driveway and discover other ideas for how to plan a staycation.
The best way to plan a staycation is to plan to get outside! Chances are, the weather is now lovely with days that are not blisteringly hot yet and nights still cool. Spend the majority of your spring break staycation in the great outdoors!
Whether you’re looking for the best staycations in Florida or the best staycations in California, it’s hard to beat the fresh air of springtime. Here are some staycation ideas for where to go in your local area, destinations that won’t cost you a lot of money at the pump this spring:
- State or local parks
- A local zoo
- Spring baseball games (minor or major league)
- Your own backyard!
Local lakes and campsites are great for pontoon boating, family fishing, and sleeping under the stars during your spring break staycation, but your own backyard is brimming with spring break staycation ideas, including:
- Have a cookout
- Design and do outdoor obstacle courses
- Paint en plein air
- Plant a garden
- Spring cleaning (yes it’s technically work but offer your kids a small wage and have them help pick up fallen sticks while you clear the gutters from winter’s wreckage).
- Outdoor movies under the stars
The Best Places to Staycation
You can look for the best staycation ideas in San Diego or make a plan to visit and kayak the San Juan Islands this spring, because a staycation doesn’t necessarily mean staying home! It can also mean staying local, which provides you the opportunity to get away from the routine of everyday without breaking the bank. Destinations like New River Gorge in West Virginia and other outdoor havens offer affordable accommodations and camping, along with a wealth of recrea-tion from hiking to mountain biking. Visiting a National Park is one of the best spring break staycation ideas. But some-times, even a relatively short drive and an inexpensive campsite or hotel isn’t doable, and sometimes, the weather in spring doesn’t cooperate with your best laid outdoor plans. When you need a few hours with your family out of the house, but still indoors because of rain or heat, consider some of these best places to spend part of your spring break staycation:
- Local museums
- Matinee movies at the nearby cinema
- Roller skating rink
- Bounce houses / trampoline parks
- Laser tag
Great Staycation Ideas for Couples
If you search the Internet for staycations, you’ll likely see a lot of spring break staycation ideas for entertaining kids of all ages — meaning, a lot of arts and crafts! This is because spring break is usually thought of and written about through the lens of a parent who is desperate to fill an entire week when school is closed and their kids are eager to play and make memories. But what about couples without kids who want to plan a spring staycation for themselves? Here are some great staycation ideas for couples:
- Turn your home into a day spa — Pamper each other with pedicures, massages, and feed each other grapes as you lie about in robes while binging Yellowjackets or Below Deck on TV.
- Order in and keep the kitchen clean — When it comes to great staycation ideas for couples, none are better than using your vacation budget to rely on food delivery services that will keep your kitchen clean. There’ll be no arguments about who’s turn it is to scrub the pots and pans or unload the dishwasher, just a diverse array of freshly prepared food deliv-ered to your door during your spring break staycation together!
- Puzzles and card games — Working on a puzzle together or playing card games like Phase 10 and Uno while a mix of your favorite music plays is a relaxing way to enjoy a staycation together as a couple.
Here are more spring activities for the whole family to help you have a great spring break staycation this year!