R3 Info & State Examples
RBFF collaborates with stakeholders and state and federal agencies to develop resources and case studies to help implement R3 plans and activities.
Boating and fishing are two of the most popular activities in America, and they have a significant economic impact throughout the country. RBFF is working closely with industry and state and federal agency partners to increase fishing participation from the current 46 million anglers to 60 million anglers in 60 months (by 2021). This initiative, coined "60 in 60" by RBFF, provides an aspirational goal that’s working to inspire others in the industry to do their part to increase participation.
The key to “60 in 60” is delivering effective angler and boater recruitment, retention and reactivation (R3) efforts. RBFF collaborates with stakeholders and state and federal agencies to develop, implement and evaluate effective R3 efforts to increase participation in fishing and boating.
An increase in participation means more customers for businesses, more fishing licenses and boat registration purchases, increased tackle and equipment sales, and more funds for states to protect our aquatic natural resources and the wildlife they sustain through fish stocking, habitat management, fish surveys and research, boat ramp management and more.
RBFF has developed numerous resources to assist with your R3 programs.
General R3 Resources:
- Thirty Tips for Better Angler and Boater R3 Practices: thirty detailed ideas to help your organization better recruit, retain and reactivate anglers and boaters.
- Angler R3 Coordinator Position Description Template: resource for state agencies in hiring an Angler R3 Coordinator/Manager.
- Angler R3 Plan Guiding Document: resource to assist state agencies in developing an angler R3 plan for their state.
- Recommendations and Strategic Tools for Effective Angler Recruitment, Retention and Reactivation (R3) Efforts: recommendations and strategic tools to enable state agencies, nongovernment organizations and industry to improve R3 effectiveness.
- Highlights of Angler Recruitment, Retention and Reactivation (R3) Literature: summary of recent literature on angler R3 efforts throughout the country.
- Direct Mail & Email Marketing Toolkit to Reactivate Lapsed Anglers: step-by-step guide that provides straightforward instructions to plan, execute and manage your agency’s lapsed angler license renewal program.
View GA's Email Results
Download the direct mail and email native files
- First-Time Buyers Retention Email Campaign Toolkit: toolkit which contains email templates and steps to implement a program to retain first-time license buyers in your state.
View the Overall Information
View Results via Video
Download Native Email Files
- Best Practices Workbook For Boating, Fishing, and Aquatic Resource Stewardship Education: manual to provide information for program planning, development and implementation, professional development, program evaluation and educational program research.
Best Practices Workbook
Best Practices Guide to Program Evaluation
- Boat Registration Reactivation Program: program partnership with RBFF and state agencies to reach lapsed boaters. The state agency receives all the revenue that the programs generates.
- State R3 Program Grants: program to help fund state programs that are sustainable and replicable angler and boater R3 initiatives.
- RBFF Webinar Series: content most requested by state agencies and developed into webinars.
- Hispanic Toolkit: compilation of tools for stakeholders to help them focus more strategically and effectively on reaching the Hispanic boater and angler.
- Fishing and Boating Research: reports from a variety of research projects to better understand recreational boating and fishing and aquatic resource stewardship,
- 60 in 60 logo: Support the initiative by adding the logo to your website and promotional materials.
State R3 Program Case Studies and Examples:
For the very latest on RBFF’s 60 in 60 initiative, and R3 programs and resources: